Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My Beloved Gateway


This afternoon my heart was broken once again. Gateway left this Earth and is now with his beloved Bunny in heaven.

He was a gorgeous broken black & white mini lop. I fell in love with him the moment I saw him. I adopted him through the House Rabbit Society. He lived in Virginia where a girl could no longer keep him. We set a date for the two bunnies to meet hoping they would hit it off.

At first Bunny did not know what to make of him. It took about 5 weeks of introducing them each day for them to finally bond. She fell madly in love with him. She would present herself to Gateway for grooming. Gateway would take his cute pink tongue and lick her head and ears. She just loved it. I would find them in numerous places snuggling together. I marveled at their relationship. Bunny often told me that Gateway was the best gift she ever had. If only all human couples could live in peace and harmony as Bunny & Gateway did.

Gateway loved the pugs as much as they loved him. They would sniff each other's noses. So cute to watch.

Gateway loved his blueberries, bananas, carrots, oranges, timothy hay, oxbow pellets, and raisons. Anytime I was in the kitchen or opened the refrigerator door, Gateway was like grease lightning leaping into the kitchen. When he heard me come home, he would come running to greet me. He would make this endearing sound as he approached me. He loved living cage free. Oh, how I am going to miss this special boy.

I was honored and blessed to take care of Gateway. God has so blessed me with all the pets he has entrusted to me.

3 comments:

westoverpugs said...

I'm so sorry Jeanie.

What a great life your bunnies must have had, living cage free

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It is very sad to have to say that twice in such a short amount of time. It is good they will be together again though. It seems like this has been a depressing time for a lot of pets lately, bella was recently sick, she is ok now, but days after her boyfriend (a friend of the family's dog) was hit by a car and has been at a vet emergency room for nearly two weeks with collapsed lungs and too many broken bones. They opted to keep doing surgeries rather than put him to sleep, he is doing a little better now but is not really out of the woods yet. I hate having to get news like all of this from so far away, I cannot wait to be home this summer to be closer to everyone, both people, and animals.... hug the pugs for me.

Blair

The Pug Boys said...

Thanks guys. Gateway was spoiled with lots of love and the good life.

Remember to enjoy the moment and savor it. Don't be so focused on the future or stuck in the past. Life keeps reminding me of this lesson.

Blair, I look forward to seeing Bella and you this summer. Glad she recovered quickly.